click: proc_dir missing from cvs repository; scheduled events in click; new serial link emulator element

Eric Freudenthal eric.freudenthal at nyu.edu
Thu May 2 19:16:25 EDT 2002

Well, we didn't notice the existing timer facilities, but we think that ours
are better for our purposes:

1. our scheduled events take a function and two args, we use one arg to
identify the object and the other to identify the packet to send.
2. we expect to have many events scheduled, and a min_heap has faster random
insertion time than than a linked list
3. we need to schedule events with finer granularity than 1ms; our scheduler
attempts 1us granularity (well, that's too fine), and checks the timer
between running threads.

The click latency & bandwidth shapers are natural candidates for conversion
to scheduled events.  I assume that most of the threaded elements are good
candidates for conversion.

We'll pick up your code & build a patch file in the next couple of days.

Eric

Eric Freudenthal  // Courant Institute // New York University
719 Broadway, Room 712 // New York, NY // 10003