kernel performance anomoly (help)

Joe Elliott joe at inetd.com
Thu Jun 20 10:51:13 EDT 2002

Hello Eddie,
	I see this anomoly with 2.4 kernels (except RedHat 7.2/3) releases)
It is quite well documented on the kernel dev groups. It effects the
kupdated daemon. This occurs when you have very high levels of IO on more
than 1 physical interface (ie eth/eth or eth/ide). kupdated can consume
100% cpu for 5/10 sec intervals and the machine crawls for a short period.
This repeats every minute or so while the high I/O persists.

You can easily see this with top. Ie run a big tcpdump capture with a 2.4
kernel (-s 1600 -w) and fill the wire with big packets. After the buffers
fill up you will see kupdated go nuts. Reading from the net and writing to
disk at high rates is 2.4's worst nitemare.

I have seen this with every 2.4 kernel to 2.4.19 (last one I tested)

Check the kernel.org newsgroup for details. Aparently 2.20 will be fixed,
but they said that about 2.18.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel

I have heard from a few people that they have gone back to 2.2 kernels
for high I/O uses.

Then I discovered that RedHat 7.x fixes the problem! Who wants to do a diff
to find out what they did?

Joe.

--