Debugging IPv6/IPv4 translation elements (pt64, pt46 and at)

Juan Luis Baptiste juancho at linuxmail.org
Mon Feb 18 08:10:56 EST 2002

Hi again,

I'm trying to use the IPv6/IPv4 translation elements (pt64, pt46 and at) with no luck.

My network setup for this test is very simple, three computers:
* One with an IPv6 address 3ffe:1ce1:2:0:200::2 (KAME-NetBSD 1.5.2). 1.0.0.1 is the mapped ipv4 address for the ipv6 machine.
* the click translator (Mandrake Linux 8.1 with click-patched 2.4.9 kernel) with addresses 3ffe:1ce1:2:0:200::1 and 172.25.0.1 and MAC address 00:00:21:C5:99:A0 .
* ipv4 machine with address 172.25.0.3 (win 98).

The configuration file is made for use with the userlevel tool, and it's based in the existing ones in the cvs.

When ping6'ing from the ipv6 machine to ::172.25.0.3 the output in the translator shows that the packets flows throught the translator with no problem, but any "echo reply" icmp packages arrives to the ipv6 host. Using the sniffer ethereal, I saw some weird stuff. When the "echo request" from the ipv6 host arrives to the translator, the translator (Linux I think, not click) responds to it with an "Address unreachable" message, but anyway, click translates the package and sends it to 172.25.0.3 and 172.25.0.3 responds to it with an "echo reply" message, but the the translator responds again to 172.25.0.3 with an "Destination unreachable" message, and so on.

When tranlating from ipv4 to ipv6 click seg faults randomly, sometimes before the address translator, sometimes after it, sometimes in the StaticIPLookup, and sometimes it never crashes, mostly the first time is run, the next ones start to crash.

I'm sending here my configuration file and the ethereal captures if some one wants to help me taking a look at this, what I would appreciate a lot because my degree depends on this and I'm already delayed because of this problem.

Many many thanks to the persons who can help me.

Juan Luis Baptiste M.