[click] element alignment

Douglas S. J. De Couto decouto at lcs.mit.edu
Mon Apr 1 16:06:23 EST 2002

How can I tell click-align what alignments my element wants and
produces?  is the only way to edit click-align.cc?

i am using click and click-align on an ARM processor, where alignment
is important.  click-align started assigning an alignment of 4/0 to my
element's inputs (LookupLocalGridRoute) (actually, to the classifier
in front of my element), when really it should be 4/2.  click-align
inserts Align elements to change (aka screw up) the alignment.

i think this is because one of LookupLocalGridRoute's outputs feeds
into CheckIPHeader -- i think that click-align wants CheckIPHeader to
have 4/0 alignment, and is pushing the alignment change up to in front
of my element.

But my element's ouputs are the right alignment anyway.  i.e. packets
leaving my element to go to CheckIPHeader etc. are 4/0 aligned,
because my element does the equivalent of a Strip inside it.

I think I fixed it by manually adding an Align(4, 2) element in front
of my element.  However, click-align still adds all the other Aligns,
which unnecessarily force a 4/0 alignment before my element, and then
force a 4/2 after my element.

Douglas S. J. De Couto    decouto at lcs.mit.edu