NAT configuration...

powell molleti powelllinux at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 22:23:04 EST 2001

hi Juan,

--- Juan Luis Baptiste <juancho at metallica.com> wrote:
> Hi, first of all, thanks for your quick answer.
>
> Later I will read your mail deeply because with the
> first quick read I didn't
> undertand very
> much.
>
> For now, I tried your suggestions:
>

> > Are you able to reach the web. Try check a website
> or
> > something and if you are not able to reach then
> there
> > is a problem is with your network topology.
> > As you have shown in your diagram is the machine
> > (the extern_next_hop) connected to the same switch
> as
> > the external interface of the click box?.
> >
> Yes, I tried this befor I didn't had realized untill
> now that the web server in
> the machine I was
> using
> for testing was down :-).

ok :).

> I tried doing telnet and ftp to a machine in the
> 172.25.79.* net work and
> worked. I'm only having one
> problem
> now, the ftp and telnet sessions stop responding  in
> less than two minutes of
> inactifity. Is there a
> timeout
> somewhere? telnetting from amchine in the same
> network works fine.

hummm. If you take a look at the ip_to_extern (line
135). All the packets that leave the external
interface of the click machine are encapsulated with
the ethernet address of your gateway. So i dont think
your telnet, ftp packet first goes to the machine that
you destined to. It is goin to the gateway and then
the gateway is routing the packet internally
(172.25.79.*).
I dont have the hardware with me to check the stuff,
but this is what should happen i guess cause you are
able to get a telnet, ftp session right?.

can you post the netstat -n output (on your telnet,
ftp server machine) to me, so that we can see what is
goin on.

Now if you want to access all the machines on the
external network , then you should not use
EtherEncap instead use a extern_arpq(similar to
intern_arq written in the mazu at line, i think the
changes should be

declare extern_arpq first:

extern_arpq :: ARPQuerier(extern);

now from line 135.
ip_to_extern :: GetIPAddress(16)
	-> CheckIPHeader
	-> [0]extern_arpq // replacing the EtherEncap
	-> extern_dev;

now the consequences are that you will not be able to
reach the web i guess. So i think you have to
use LookupIPRoute element for your external net
packets and your Internet(WEB) Packets and get the
stuff done.

As i told you before i dont have any hardware to check
what i m telling , so if any mistakes please forgive
me and correct me.

I hope this helps.
cya
powell