Gigabit ethernet cards

Brecht Vermeulen brecht.vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Tue Mar 27 02:55:04 EST 2001

Dear Click'ers,

A couple of months ago, I asked about the experiences with Gigabit
ethernet cards and Robert answered that maybe there would be experiments
with SysKonnect or Intel cards (see at the bottom).

Now finally, we will buy some gigabit ethernet stuff and I have still
some questions:

- have you done further experiments with other Gb cards ?
- Robert mentioned a hardwarde limit of 200,000 packets per second for
the Alteon AceNIC. Is this limit for all Tigon based NICs (3com 3C985,
Netgear GA620, ...) ?
- for the SysKonnect and/or Intel NICs, I suppose that it was the goal
to adapt also those drivers with the polling extensions or are these
also based on the acenic driver ?
- Are there any other drivers that are planned to get polling extensions
(aside of the tulip and acenic driver) ?

We still love the Click modular router project !

We will use it as an adapted DiffServ router (with some proprietary
extensions for communication with optical nodes) for a project, with
also some new components which is also pretty easy to develop.

We are also busy at developing CORBA interfaces on top of the router, so
that we can manage it.

best regards and thanks in advance,
Brecht Vermeulen

Department of Information Technology (INTEC)
Ghent University - IMEC
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41
B-9000 Gent
Belgium