Possibilities of the Click package

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Thu Jun 28 15:53:13 EDT 2001

I would add to Robert's comments:

First off, the right place to send Click questions is this mailing list.

> Q4] The element LookupIPRoute2 has some dynamic routing possibilities via Element Handlers. Is it possible to access these handlers by other elements to update routing tables?

This is possible, but you may need to write the particular elements that
access the handlers. To see how one element can call another element's
handlers, look at PokeHandlers and PeekHandlers.

> Q6] Does Click support fire walling at the TCP level?

Yes. Click supports NAT firewalling with the IPRewriter and
TCPRewriter-like elements.

> Q7] Does Click support fire walling at the application level (proxies) and which applications are supported?

Like Robert said, Click has good support for transferring packets to user
level for processing. But you can also write application proxies as
elements that run in the kernel. We have one such proxy, for FTP:
FTPPortMapper.

> Q8] Does Click support Multicasting and IGMP?

I believe some people at Purdue University were working on this; I'm not
sure how far they got.

> Q9] What kind of functionality is currently under development by the Click team?

Click is growing in several directions, including multicast, wireless
routing, and simulation.

love,
ed