Hi

GARDNER,ROBERT (A-Scotland,ex1) (by way of Eddie Kohler <kohler at aciri.org>) robert_gardner at agilent.com
Tue Jun 26 10:24:44 EDT 2001

Thanks for the information, Ed.

My orginal problem was because the EXPORT_ELEMENT(...) line
was faulty - I'd cut and pasted and forgotten to change this
line.

Right now, I'm trying to intercept packets using FromLinux()
so that I can add MPLS headers. It's a bit of a battle with
the ARPs though. It's getting there slowly!

best wishes
Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Eddie Kohler [mailto:kohler at aciri.org]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 4:54 PM
To: GARDNER,ROBERT (A-Scotland,ex1)
Cc: 'click at pdos.lcs.mit.edu'
Subject: Re: Hi

Hi Robert,

> I'm enjoying using your excellent Click router.
> I'm now trying to add my own node - but have hit a snag!

Brecht's solution -- creating a "package" like etc/samplepackage -- is a
good one. It will make it (slightly) easier for you to update your main
Click distribution from time to time, and will reduce link times.

However, here is how to do it with elements/local, which has less startup
overhead than creating a package.

1. DO NOT edit the Makefile to add elements/local. Instead, supply the
   "--enable-local" argument to "configure".

2. Now run "make elemlist". This will update Click's master list of
   elements by searching the elements/ subdirectories for
   "EXPORT_ELEMENT()" statements. (Your element has an EXPORT_ELEMENT()
   statement, right? See any existing element for an example. The argument
   to EXPORT_ELEMENT is a C++ class name.)

3. Check "userlevel/elements.conf" and/or "linuxmodule/elements.conf" to
   see if your element has been included.

4. If so, you are ready to go! Just make install.

You are right that this should be documented better.

love,
ed