click on linux 2.4 and other questions

Dirk Steinberg dws at dirksteinberg.de
Sun Jun 24 10:45:18 EDT 2001

Hello,

after reading the click thesis document I got
really curious to have a look at click.

Downloading the 1.2 source showed only support
for the Linux kernel 2.2.

For other reasons I am currently in the process
of moving all my machines to kernel 2.4.

Therefore my question: Are there any plans to port
click to kernel 2.4? Is click still in active development
or has it stalled?

The thesis benchmarks also quote numbers for Linux/Polling
saying that this is the Linux IP stack with click polling
drivers. Is this code contained in the distribution or can
I get it somewhere?

BTW: On an SMP system, is it possible to dedicate one CPU
to just doing forwarding in polling mode, while the other
CPU(s) handle regular interrupts and user-level stuff?
This would give a clean separation between forwarding plane
and control plane, and the forwarding CPU caches would not
be polluted with other data. Do you think that such a setup
would make sense?

Is it possible to use zebra with click?

Any plans for MPLS support?

TIA for any answers.

Cheers
	Dirk Steinberg

Ingenieurbüro Dipl.-Ing. Dirk W. Steinberg
Ringstr. 2, D-53567 Buchholz, Germany
Phone: +49-2683-9793-20, fax: -29
Mobile/GSM: +49-170-818-9793
Email: dws at dirksteinberg.de