More click router problems

Douglas S. J. De Couto decouto at lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jun 19 18:14:29 EDT 2001

> > [BTW we are confused about the
> > role the kernel is playing in a userlevel router. All the papers we have
> > concentrate on the kernel module. Are there any papers about the interaction
> > between these two parts?]
>
> No, there are not, because you're right -- we don't use the user-level
> configuration that much, except for testing. (But some other people on this
> list *do*; maybe they can help you. -- Doug??)
>
> In a user-level router, the FromDevice element uses the same technology
> that tcpdump(1) uses. That is, it gets a COPY of each packet the kernel
> sees. It does NOT prevent the kernel from seeing a packet!!! That is, the
> kernel will still see and handle every packet in whatever way it sees fit.

well the way we use userlevel click with linux os to assigne the
device an address of 0.  e.g. 'ifconfig eth0 0'

but i don't remember exactly what this does and does not enable the
kernel to do with packets seen on that device.  the work we are doin
uses its own ether type code which the kernel doesn't know about.

i think setting the ip address to 0 will at least avoid the ARP
replies, but there may be other pathological things the happen....

Douglas S. J. De Couto    decouto at lcs.mit.edu