More click router problems

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Tue Jun 19 15:07:14 EDT 2001

> > [BTW we are confused about the
> > role the kernel is playing in a userlevel router. All the papers we have
> > concentrate on the kernel module. Are there any papers about the interaction
> > between these two parts?]
>
> That explains why you get all the weirdness with ARP requests and

One simple thing that you can try is installing a *kernel* configuration
that looks like this:

     tls :: ToLinuxSniffers;
     FromDevice(DEVICENAME) -> tls;
     FromDevice(DEVICENAME2) -> tls;

The ToLinuxSniffers element will prevent the regular Linux kernel from
processing the packet. However, packet sniffers -- like the user-level
Click processes -- WILL get the packets.

You can use a more complex kernel configuration to send some packets to the
sniffers only, and some packets to Linux proper (including the sniffers).

love,
ed