dumps in kernel space

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Wed Jul 4 10:29:44 EDT 2001

Hi Werner,

> My question is: could I dump the SEND_TIME, the RECEIVE_TIME and the
> FLOW_ID which are get by GetPacketTimestamp for each packet in a file
> inside the kernel space (Something like ToDump for the kernel space) in
> order to evaluate the timestamps later for calculating delay and/or
> jitter?

Sure! There are several ways to do this. You can just dump the values you
want in ASCII using the click_chatter() function or a combination of
Print()s. Then the values will be on one or more lines of
/var/log/messages.

Alternatively, you could collect the information in kernel memory and make
it available to a user-level application via a handler. There is an element
in the CVS repository that you can use as a model:
elements/local/chuckcheck.{cc,hh}.

Even speedier than a handler would be a low-level RPC (llrpc; llrpcs are
implemented as ioctls). There are a couple llrpcs scattered about the Click
elements; just grep for llrpc.

love,
ed