Hi!

Eddie Kohler eddietwo at naugabutt.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Feb 12 15:49:46 EST 2001

Hi Roland et al, sorry for the delay in replying!

> So, how would you do to get at least say 50,000-100,000 packets?
>
> Do we need to run the router at kernel level?
>
> Do we need to implement a polling driver?

You need to implement a polling driver and the architecture around it. Then
you might be able to run yourrouter even at user level. (We haven't tried
this case.)

It depends though., on the architecture and many other things. With x86
Linux machines, kernel-level routers, and no polling, we could get up to
around 100,000 packets per second. The code we used to get this is
distributed with Click, in the tools/udpgen directory.

But polling is required for faster speeds.

> Will we benefit from interfacing to the Click system?

Why, sure! Particularly if you use Linux on x86, and have access to Tulip
cards.

Please let us know how your experiments go.

love,
ed