FromLinux

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Thu Aug 16 02:00:35 EDT 2001

Hi Robert,

> We can manually insert the correct MAC address with
> a bit of jiggery-pokery but it seems like a bit of a
> fiddle.

Thanks for reporting this! In the current CVS repository, FromLinux
supports an ETHER keyword argument that you can use to set the fake
device's Ethernet address.

> The dummy interface seems to make servicing ARP requests from
> Linux very difficult - in fact I haven't been able to get it to work except
> when using the ARP responder element which effectively bypasses the process.
> Do you have any hints here? The chatter
> shows some weird goings-on with ARPS from both the fake and real
> interface.

I'm not sure Iunderstand your problem, but you do need to make sure that
the Click configuration containing FromLinux handles ARP requests from
Linux to that device, and ARPResponder element is how we do it. You can see
my thesis (Routers chapter) for a schematic example.

love,
ed