"GARDNER,ROBERT (A-Scotland,ex1)": FromLinux

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Thu Aug 16 01:57:42 EDT 2001

------- Forwarded Message

From: "GARDNER,ROBERT (A-Scotland,ex1)" <robert_gardner at agilent.com>
To: "'eddietwo at lcs.mit.edu'" <eddietwo at lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: FromLinux
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:43:52 +0200

Hi Eddie,
I have a question about the FromLinux() click element
as we are having some problems in our set up.
The FromLinux element creates a fake interface with
a dummy MAC address (00:01:02:03:04:05) and IP address specified by the
first parameter.

If we want to send packets from two machines (A and B) to
a third machine C, then we are currently unable
to distinguish between the packets at the Ethernet level
since they have the same dummy source MAC address 00:01:02:03:04:05.

We can manually insert the correct MAC address with
a bit of jiggery-pokery but it seems like a bit of a
fiddle.

I expect there is a good rationale behind the use of the fake interface but
could it not be made so that the dummy source MAC address could be
specified?

The dummy interface seems to make servicing ARP requests from
Linux very difficult - in fact I haven't been able to get it to work except
when using the ARP responder element which effectively bypasses the process.
Do you have any hints here? The chatter
shows some weird goings-on with ARPS from both the fake and real
interface.

best wishes

Robert Gardner
Agilent