Polling Linux

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Fri Apr 20 01:48:31 EDT 2001

Hi Werner,

> 1. Is there any possibility yet (or in near future) to use other NICs
> (e.g. 3com, Matrox) for the polling mode than those with a DEC chipset?

This is on our back burner, particularly the Intel eepro100. Would you liek
to help?

> 2. In your performance tests you have a scenario called Polling Linux.
> Is it so that you could increase the performance of the Linux networking
> (by avoiding interrupts) and simultaneously use all of its features
> (specially its QoS features like TC and CBQ)?

We just wanted to see Linux's baseline forwarding performance (= no TC or
CBQ) without interrupts.

> How does such a Polling
> Linux configuration look like (e.g.  PollDevice(eth0) -> ToLinux)?

That is pretty much it. You need a ToDevice too, though:

PollDevice(eth0) -> ToLinux;
Idle -> ToDevice(eth0);

love,
ed