/proc : file too large

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Sat Apr 7 09:23:13 EDT 2001

> (well, there is
> still a problem with 'kmalloc: Size (131104) too large' if we have too
> much entries in that element, but that will be some memory thing at our
> side, do you know of any restriction here ?)

Yes -- this is a hard limit unless you recompile your kernel. Any single
block of memory allocated inside the kernel must be less than some pretty
low limit. We allocate configuration strings in contiguous memory, so....

One way to get around this is to design handlers that add to or subtract
from the configuration, rather than having to rewrite the whole
configuration each time.

> We use 98304 now, does this value have an impact on performance or
> memory use ? Or is it only an administrative maximum for write handlers
> ?

It's only an administrative maximum.

> Therefore it isn't really an element which can be interesting for
> everyone, to my opinion.

It's pretty interesting :) !

It sounds to me like your element could use extra write handlers to reduce
its dependence on rewriting the whole config.

love,
ed