/proc : file too large

Brecht Vermeulen brecht.vermeulen at rug.ac.be
Sat Apr 7 16:48:41 EDT 2001

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the fast answer and solution (therefore I love Open Source
software), I hadn't thought of the config.h. It works. (well, there is
still a problem with 'kmalloc: Size (131104) too large' if we have too
much entries in that element, but that will be some memory thing at our
side, do you know of any restriction here ?)

We use 98304 now, does this value have an impact on performance or
memory use ? Or is it only an administrative maximum for write handlers
?

The element which needs such a config is based on the ARPQuerier
element, but instead of doing ARP requests, the ARP table can be
configured manually. Well, I'm lying :-), because the table doesn't
really contain ethernet addresses, but only an IP address and a number
(2 bytes). That number is used to write in the MAC destination address
of the ethernet packet (with 4 bytes padding) instead of a MAC
destination address.

This setup is (will be) used in the Harmonics project (field trial) to
couple a Click router via Gigabit ethernet to an optical component
(Optical Line Terminator, OLT). The Click router does the IP routing but
instead of sending the packets through different interfaces, everything
goes to the OLT which looks at the Ethernet destination address filled
in by the Click router to see where the packet must be sent (the OLT is
a layer 2 device and we don't want to violate the layer separation).

The click router will also do DiffServ classification and queuing.

Therefore it isn't really an element which can be interesting for
everyone, to my opinion.

best regards,
Brecht