kevin_mitchell@agilent.com: RE: Known hotconfig problems?

Eddie Kohler kohler at aciri.org
Tue Apr 3 12:09:37 EDT 2001

FYI

------- Forwarded Message

From: kevin_mitchell at agilent.com
To: kohler at aciri.org
Subject: RE: Known hotconfig problems?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:03:48 -0700

> And no matter how many times you do "cp test /proc/click/config",
> everything works fine?
Yes.  And writing to /proc/click/hotconfig seems to fail after a random
number of times.  Usually it fails straight away.  A few times it has failed
on the second copy.  And sometimes it takes three or four attempts to kill
it.

> The file to instrument is "linuxmodule/proc_config.cc", function
> "hotswap_config". You can add some 'printk()'s to see where the crash
> happens.
It seems to fail after this function has returned.

> One potential issue: Maybe the 'cli()' is causing problems for you. Try
> getting rid of the "save_flags()/cli()/restore_flags()" stuff.

Aha!  Commenting out these lines seems to stop it crashing (I've not checked
whether the resulting system does anything useful yet).  I tried copying
about twenty times before I got bored with no ill effect.  Any idea why
disabling/reenabling interrupts in this code would fail for me but not for
you?

Kevin

------- End of Forwarded Message