[chord] Chord queries relating to Initialisation and Join

Aisling O' Driscoll odriscoll.aisling at gmail.com
Thu May 20 17:55:07 EDT 2010

Hi Emil,

Thanks for your advice so far and clarify that correct routing relies on
successor pointers and only routing efficiency relies on finger tables. I
would just like to clarify one or two quick things on the points that you
made:

“In the location_table approach, as soon as node m notifies node n that it
is a predecessor, node n will be in the table and be automatically used as
some fingers.”

I have never heard of the “location_table” approach – Is this an approach
used in the one of the code implementations on this webpage?:
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/faq.html#lang

I don’t fully understand what you mean by “node n will in the table and be
automatically used as some fingers” – whose table?

Are you saying it works like this?: Node m will join, find out node n is its
successor and will run the stabilize function. Node n will reply to the
stabilize query saying its predecessor is nil. Because of that, node m will
send a notify message to n and n will update its predecessor to node m. Are
you saying this new predecessor should prompt node n to re-evaluate its
finger table entries to incorporate m and hence when node m subsequently
tries to build its finger table by querying lookups of node n’s finger
table, node m will also build a finger table that has a mix of node n and m
in the finger table entries? Thus if this is the case, every time a node
determines that it has a new successor or predecessor it dynamically updates
its finger tables?

“Well, I don't see how one could really have a new node proactively update
everyone else in a truly distributed and large scale system. So, yes, it may
take some time before everyone gets the fully updated finger tables doing
their own periodic fix_fingers.”

I had come across the attached paper that made use of an update_finger_table
function (pg 5). It made it sound like it was part of the default
specification so that’s what made me wonder if the finger tables were
proactively updated. I really just wanted to clarify the default behaviour.

Thanks for your help and clarifications.
Kind Regards,
Aisling.