[chord] Chord compiling issues

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 23 23:04:14 EDT 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 at 15:00 (-0300), Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> I'm trying to compile it all in a Linux machine running the last Ubuntu
> release, so (I hope) the tools here are updated.

I've been able to use SFSlite trunk which is whatever was used to
cut 0.8.17 and, possibly 0.8.18...

> -- The first issue that I noticed is a problem introduced by gcc 4.2.
> I've seen a lot of warning followed by errors of these message bellow:
>
>      "I deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char *'"
>
> I just made some modifications (as shown here [0]) and this wasn't the
> problem anymore.

Feel free to submit a patch against hg tip.  If it looks ok, I'll
apply it.

> -- So I dug a little more trying with the same chord snapshot of HOWTO
> and the same SFS library version and the following error appeared:

SFSlite releases update both its API (unfortunately) and the
tame syntax.  I didn't want to update/re-write/convert the
existing tame code to the new syntax.

> location.C: In member function ‘void location::init()’:
> location.C:26: erro: ‘timenow’ was not declared in this scope

This incompatibility suggests you are using something that's
SFSlite 1.x derived.

I apologize for the difficulties getting this to build.  I'm happy
to take patches that seem reasonable and apply them if you are able
to update things to work against recent versions of SFSlite.  (I
have since graduated and obviously haven't attended to my Chord
mailbox in sometime.)

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/