[chord] Etna source

Alex Tumanov atumanov at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 19:21:38 EST 2008

Thanks a lot for your reply Athicha! I wanted to explore the possibility of using DHTs to provide a highly available service in the form of a set of stateful daemons in the backend that either link to a DHT library or talk to a co-located DHT-daemon. For all individual daemons to be able to process client requests simultaneously, the state stored on a DHT must be updated in an atomic fashion. I do not believe that you get this atomicity feature out of the box with Dhash/Chord stack(please do correct me if I'm wrong), and my hope is that the implementation of Etna on top of Dhash/Chord would address that. How would I use it, by the way, is there Etna-specific API exported to the client apps?

Incidentally, has there been any commercial adoption of either Dhash/Chord or Etna or both? The link you provided is interesting, but I was not able to find exactly in what fashion they are using the atomic DHT update algorithm? Would it, perhaps, be possible to get links to publications, or better yet, source code/documentation where this is discussed in more detail? Are there any other atomic mutable DHT implementations out there?

Thanks,
Alex.