[chord] Chord stabilization frequency

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 7 10:04:29 EST 2007

On Wed, 07 November 2007 at 15:48 (+0100), Gabor Czigola wrote:
> The Chord spec [1] states on page 7:
> "Every node runs stabilize periodically (...)"
>
> We can find a similar update / stabilize procedures in other p2p
> systems. But what is a good interval to run it? Should the frequency
> be a constant, or shall I extrapolate it? When the latter, how?

The Chord implementation stabilizes on the order of every few
seconds but that is almost certainly more frequent than necessary.
On the other hand, actual application traffic easily dwarfs the
stabilization traffic.

Consider adopting the techniques presented in Accordion [1].
You can also find related work in that paper about (automatic) tuning.

[1] http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/accordion:nsdi05/index.html

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/