[chord] Chord stabilization frequency

Gabor Czigola czigola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 09:48:54 EST 2007

Hy!

I'm actually working on the implementation of a p2p library, I call it
libDRPC (distributed remote procedure call). I began the
implementation just a few weeks ago, and it will take a long time
before I have finished it.
The main goals are:
- The library supports connecting to networks, registering RPC's
locally, and handling remote RPC requests.
- The library supports internetworking.
- Nodes can be weighted.
- Nodes are looked up with keys.
- The keys are well-balanced.
- Nodes have information about at most O(log n) hosts, and have no
information about the total node count.

The joining/routing/key lookup algorithms are based on Chord.

The Chord spec [1] states on page 7:
"Every node runs stabilize periodically (...)"

We can find a similar update / stabilize procedures in other p2p
systems. But what is a good interval to run it? Should the frequency
be a constant, or shall I extrapolate it? When the latter, how?

[1] http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/chord:sigcomm01/

regards,

--
Czigola, Gabor