[chord] Help: immutable blocks in Dhash

vsp aliter05-newsletters at yahoo.co.in
Sat Jul 15 03:52:33 EDT 2006

Hello to all the developers and mailing list memebers,

I am a second year engineering student from IIT Delhi, India. I am trying to build a p2p network and have p2p rendezvous based on username. To be more elaborate, in a p2p network, given that I know the username of another person on the network, I just want to find out the ip address of that person.

To accomplish this, I am trying to use Chord/Dhash. What I have thought is that when a new node joins the network, it  will insert a block using Dhash which has its username (say john) and ip address. The key in this case will be the username. When some other person searches the network using the username (john), the appropriate block can be retrieved and the ip address read. I want to specifically ask two questions here:

(1) Is this scheme correct in theory?  Knowing that Dhash does immutable block storage, if the same person logs out of the network and then logs in after sometime (username john remains same) with a different ip address (dynamic ip addresses case), then will the scheme fail because there will be two blocks with same key(username) but different contents (ip address). If yes, then what is the way around this problem ?

(2) Is this the simplest way to accomplish my purpose using chord ? Or is there a better way that I am missing ?

I request Chord developers and other people who have worked on chord to please help me with these queries as I am new to this area. Thank you in advance.

VijaySai Patnaik
IIT Delhi