[chord] copyright of chord_ring.gif

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 12 17:34:53 EDT 2006

Howard,

The copyright for the paper and image in question:

> Another Wikipedia editor (username: AL SAM) has uploaded an image cropped from your PDF file about the Chord project (http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/chord:sigcomm01/chord_sigcomm.pdf) which can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chord_ring.GIF.

...is owned by the Association for Computing Machinery, as noted on the
first page (here taken from http://www.acm.org/pubs/copyrights.html):

    Copyright© 20XX by the Association for Computing Machinery, Inc.
    Permission to make digital or hard copies of part of this work for
    personal or classroom use is granted without fee provided that copies
    are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage and that
    copies bear this notice and the full citation on the first page or
    intial screen of the document. Copyrights for components of this work
    owned by others than ACM must be honored. Abstracting with credit is
    permitted. To copy otherwise, to republish, to post on servers, or to
    redistribute to lists, requires prior specific permission and/or a fee.
    Request permissions from Publications Dept., ACM Inc., fax +1 (212)
    869-0481, or permissions at acm.org.

> However, we can only use your material if you are willing to grant
> permission for it to be used under terms of the GNU Free Documentation
> License (GNU-FDL, or GFDL for short). This means that although you

As such, you will have to contact the ACM directly.

Hope this helps; sorry for the delay in responding.

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/