[chord] dhashclient linking problems

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 28 22:33:42 EST 2005

On Wed, 28 December 2005 at 22:31 (+0100), piotrek jacak wrote:
> Do you think my Makefile is the reason for my linking problems?

Not necessarily; the errors indicate that certain symbols which
ought to be included in libsvc.a did not appear to be there.
Could you run and send us the output of:

   $ ar t ~/chord-build/svc/.libs/libsvc.a
   $ ls -l ~/chord-build/svc/dhashgateway_prot*

You would expect to find dhashgateway_prot.o both in the library
and also an object file.

If they are not present, did your compile of chord generate any
other errors?  Did you build chord and your program with the
same version of gcc?

> The second issue which i have at the moment:
> I do a project at my university in which i have to write a MIT chord module
> for SER (sip express router). As you might know the SER is written in C.
> My question would be: do you think i would be better off accessing chord
> (for example via chord-socket) as a separate process or linking chord and
> writing a wrapper between C an C++?? I would need only basic functionality
> like inserting a peer into the overlay or looking up a peer.

If you just need to use chord essentially for its locationtable, you
are probably better off using something like chord-socket to help you
out.  Linking into our world of C++ is (and has been for others)
a source of some difficulty.

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/chord/