[chord] Chord API documentation

Emil Sit sit at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 4 18:02:32 EDT 2005

Vlad,

> by reading your SIGCOMM presentation, I got pretty confused at the point
> of actually binding CHORD to my app. Specifically, I couldn't find ani
> API documentation at all. I would be most grateful if you could give me

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of documentation available
right now.  I'm in the process of updating some bits of our
web-site currently, but we'll see how far I get.

There are two basic options for embedding something like
Chord in your application (see [1]):
  1. Link in the code for doing Chord routing/DHash storage.
  2. Talk to a separate process.

If you want the former, you can take a look at our source code [2]
and look at how lsd (location service daemon) works.

If you want the latter, you can look at the the .x files in the
svc/ directory and use any Sun RPC library to talk directly to
the lsd server.  We have an example written in Python in the
devel/ directory of our source tree (e.g. dbm.py).

[1] http://iptps04.cs.ucsd.edu/papers/karp-openhash.pdf
[2] http://cvs.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/cvs/sfsnet/

--
Emil Sit / MIT CSAIL PDOS / http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/chord/