[chord] APPEND and replace data ??

adrian at softnet.tuc.gr adrian at softnet.tuc.gr
Thu Jun 24 18:52:53 EDT 2004

Hi,

A)
  I am trying to build an application which act like a filesystem
(only for web servers) but without include any real files,
only their real address(URL) and permissions.I use NOAUTH dhash_ctype.
e.g.
    for file /home/adrian/alldoc/bar.dpf I know that exist
    at http://147.27.1.192/lhome/adrian/papers/foo.pdf .
This information must be contained into CHORD so I did
an insertion(dhashclient::insert) with key a
hash of "/home/adrian/alldoc/bar.dpf" and with data the
string "http://147.27.1.198/lhome/adrian/papers/foo2.pdf" .

  I make a few changes in develop/test_types.C and I have accomplished that.
The problem become when I tried to replace the initial real
address(http://147.27.1.192/lhome/adrian/papers/foo.pdf)
of /home/adrian/alldoc/bar.dpf with another one,
like http://147.27.1.198/lhome/adrian/papers/foo2.pdf .

  I made another one insertion(dhashclient::insert) with the same key and
as data the new (real)address
"http://147.27.1.198/lhome/adrian/papers/foo2.pdf".
When I called dhashclient::retrieve I got only the initial
address(http://147.27.1.192/lhome/adrian/papers/foo.pdf) without know
if the new address exists in CHORD, or CHORD has rejected this.
What happen with the new address? There is any way to retrieve the new
address?
I tried dhashclient::append instead of dhashclient::insert but I got the
same results.

B)
  I run develop/test_types.C with mode=3(APPEND) to
check how dhashclient::append works.
Here are the results :
    test_types: changing nameserver to 127.0.0.1
    test_types: store db successful 14
    test_types: data (23 bytes) was This is some test data

I guess this is not the proper answer.
The result ought to contain and " so is this" which is the data_two
that we appended in line 157 :
    dhash.append (bigint (20), data_too, strlen (data_too),
        wrap (&store_cb_append_second, dhash));

Am I right or not?
Which is the usefulness of dhashclient::append?

Thanks,
Adrian.