[chord] simulator query

istoica at EECS.Berkeley.EDU istoica at EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Jul 27 21:33:59 EDT 2003

Tim,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, but I was
on vacation. Anyway, here is the answer.

Actually, in terms of functionality the simulator code is not that
different from the Chord pseudocode. The confusion may occur because
the fingerList data structure in the simulator includes three data
structures: (1) the successor list, (2) the list of proper fingers (i.e.,
fingers at the distance 2^k), and (3) a cache of fingers.

While the fingers in fingerList are replaced using LRU, note that the
fingers in the successor list and the proper fingers are refreshed at
a much higher rate than the other fingers (i.e., the cached fingers) so in
the vast majority of cases LRU will only replace these cached fingers.

The advantage of this implementation is that you need to consult only
one data structure (i.e., fingerList) when you answer a query. The
disadvantage is of course its readability.

Hope this helps. If you have more detailed comments/questions you
can send them directly to me. Best,

Ion