[ASRG] Fwd: ACM Crossroads Call for Ethics and CS Articles

Kevin Fu fubob at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 28 00:47:15 EDT 2003

Here's a CFP of relevance to students in computer security.  This
magazine is a great place for grad students and upper-level undergrads
to write for a student audience.

--------
Kevin E. Fu (fubob at mit.edu)

------- Forwarded Message
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:16:06 -0400
Subject: ACM Crossroads Call for Ethics and CS Articles
From: William Stevenson <westeven at cse.psu.edu>

Hi,

My name is William Stevenson and I'm the Editor in Chief of ACM
Crossroads Magazine. Crossroads is a student magazine for computer
science students and is sponsored by the premier computer science
professional organization, the Association for Computing Machinery.

I'm writing to you because we are calling for articles related to
Ethics and Computer Science for our Spring 2004 issue. You're
invited to submit an article and to pass this announcement along
to your colleagues who might be interested in submitting an article
to Crossroads for this issue (both graduate and undergraduate
students). The "Call for Articles" is below...

Thank you! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Sincerely,

William Stevenson
Editor in Chief, ACM Crossroads
http://www.acm.org/crossroads
http://www.billstevenson.org

Call For Articles
Crossroads, the Association for Computing Machinery
Student Magazine Ethics and Computer Science (Spring 2004)
DUE DATE: 29 September 2003
SUBMISSION ADDRESS: http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/
INFORMATION: crossroads at acm.org
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/cfas/ethics.html

The Crossroads editorial staff invites authors to submit articles
dealing with topics drawn from several areas pertaining to ethics and
computer science.  The following partial list of topics is provided to
give prospective authors ideas for articles and is by no means
exhaustive; other relevant topics will be considered. Papers that draw
connections between two or more of these areas are especially welcome.

Social consequences of technology
Surveillance and privacy post-September 11th
Professional ethics in software development
Information stewardship
Computer crimes and hackers
Censorship on the Internet
International perspectives on ethics in computer science
Digital rights management and fair use
Copyright laws for the programmer
Internet filtering in schools and libraries
Supporting civil society with the Internet
The ethical consequences of the use of Open Source software

Articles should include a basic description of the kinds of problems
being worked on, the state of the art of research, the state of the art
of commercial applications, open problems, or future research/commercial
development trends. Interviews with researchers; reviews of related
books, software, videos, or conferences; and opinion columns on related
issues are also welcome. We especially encourage both undergraduate
and graduate students to submit articles. However, articles written or
coauthored by professionals will also be considered.

Crossroads articles should be written for a broad audience. They should
be easily understandable by someone who has had only the most basic
computer science instruction, and yet still be interesting to the
advanced computer enthusiast. Articles longer than 6000 words will
generally not be considered for publication. Feature articles should be
between 1500 and 6000 words; reviews should be between 800 and 2000
words; and opinion columns should be between 800 and 3000 words.
Articles should be written in a magazine style rather than a research
paper style. In consideration of our diverse readership, authors should
try to use language that is inclusive of people regardless of their
gender, race, religion, nationality, or field of study. Additional
writing guidelines and submission information are available online at
the Crossroads web site
(http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/information/writing.html).

Crossroads is published both online and in print. We have a print
circulation of about 20,000. All back issues are available for free on
our website. Authors that have an article printed in Crossroads can
receive complementary copies of the issue they were published in.

All submissions should be formatted in HTML or plain text format and
submitted via http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/

Submissions are due 29 September 2003. They will be reviewed shortly
thereafter and authors of accepted submissions will be notified within
two to three weeks of the deadline.

Prospective authors are invited to send email to the editors of
Crossroads (crossroads at acm.org) indicating their intention to submit an
article. In this way we can keep everyone informed of any changes in
deadlines or formats and to make sure we have a good variety of
articles. General questions should also be sent to the Crossroads
editors.

------- End of Forwarded Message