Selection of Operating System Papers
Available on the 6.828 schedule.
- Bochs - An x86 platform
and CPU emulator.
- QEMU -
A new, much faster but less mature PC emulator.
Nelson Elhage has written up
for using QEMU with 6.828. Make sure the
code you hand in works with Bochs.
x86 Assembly Language
PC Hardware Programming
- General PC architecture information
- General BIOS and PC bootstrap
- VGA display - kern/console.c
- Keyboard and Mouse - kern/console.c
- 8253/8254 Programmable Interval Timer (PIT)
- 8259/8259A Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC)
- Real-Time Clock (RTC)
- 16550 UART Serial Port - kern/console.c
- IEEE 1284 Parallel Port - kern/console.c
- IDE hard drive controller - fs/ide.c
- Sound cards
(not supported in 6.828 kernel,
but you're welcome to do it as a challenge problem!)
- E100 Network Interface Card
Questions or comments regarding 6.828? Send e-mail to the TAs at
6.828 home //
Last updated Wednesday, 22-Sep-2021 12:14:44 EDT