[Click] Packet alignment

Sascha Alexander Jopen jopen at informatik.uni-bonn.de
Tue Jul 30 09:43:48 EDT 2013

Hey,

I have a question regarding the click packet data alignment.

I have an element which generates packets with 46 bytes of headroom
followed by some data. The whole packet gets aligned in memory, but
data() points to a memory section which is 2 bytes off the alignment on
a 32bit machine. This packet will eventually be pushed into an
UDPIPEncap element. On some architectures (where
HAVE_INDIFFERENT_ALIGNMENT is not defined) a 4-byte alignment is
expected (see line 94 udpipencap.cc). However, click-align does not
insert an Align element on those architectures. If i do this manually,
everything is fine. How can i make click-align insert the Align element?

Thanks in advance,
Sascha

--
Dipl.-Inform. Sascha Jopen

University of Bonn                     Tel.:   +49-228-73-54219
Institute of Computer Science 4        Fax:    +49-228-73-4571
Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 144              E-mail: jopen at cs.uni-bonn.de
D-53113 Bonn, Germany