[Click] ns3-click packet processing delay

nsclick at gmx.de nsclick at gmx.de
Mon Nov 12 09:47:06 EST 2012

> Hi again,
>
> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM,  <nsclick at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> ns-3 has no notion of processing delay as of now.
>>
>> Thanks Lalith for the information.
>> My problem is that an element with the following code (for testing purposes) influences my simulation results. If I comment the lines for scheduling, the simulation results are ok.
>> How can the following code influence the simulation result? The only thing the code does is configuring the scheduler for the next event. But the code does not produce packets for the simulation.
>> Could someone explanin me how a code that only schedules itself can influence the simulation?
>>

>> int Foo::initialize( ErrorHandler * )
>> {
>>         _timer.initialize( this );
>>         uint32_t start = ( random() % _period );
>>         _timer.schedule_after_msec( start );
>>         return 0;
>> }
>>
>> void Foo::run_timer(Timer *)
>> {
>>         int period = ( int ) ( _period * .95 + ( random() % ( _period / 10 ) ) );
>>         _timer.reschedule_after_msec( period ); }

>The above snippet of code can end up changing the sequence of events that arrive at ns-3's scheduler.

>What I meant when I said that ns-3 does not model processing delay, is that every packet is processed by an ns-3 node in 0.0 nanoseconds in simulation time.

If my scheduled dummy events (which do nothing) change the sequence of events arriving in the ns-3 scheduler and an event is processed in 0.0 nanoseconds in ns-3, then the other events are not delayed, aren't they?

If I have three events A, B, and C and my code snippet will produce the events Y and Z. All events will be scheduled to the same time, e.g. 150 seconds. Could this change the processing order of A,B,C to C,A,B for example?

I also recognized that if I add some dummy-events at 150 seconds of simulation time, also the simulation results before 150 seconds will change. How can this be?