[Click] 10GE Click performance

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Jan 20 12:19:43 EST 2012

> Kinda wonder how prepared click is for the netmap work being done and
> 10Gb performance, and if it will help

I recall reading on the list that netmap maintains a TX ring and as such
it is not friendly to Click configs that can hold on to some packets for
a while.

FromDevice(ethX) -> cl::Classifier(...)[0]
                  -> Queue
                  -> DelayShaper(DELAY)
                  -> outQ;

cl[1] -> outQ;

Any clarifications from people familiar with netmap?

> I believe that click already incorporated the code needed to utilize
> netmap though it might change once its ported to
> linux, but that and the ixgb patches out there could make for some
> serious speed i would hope... thoughts ??

ixgb patches still require 2.6.24.7 kernel as there is no newer kernel
that supports poll_on/poll_off in the netdevice.

Roman