[Click] NSClick - performance upgrade for NS-2

Björn Lichtblau lichtbla at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Jan 19 16:51:16 EST 2012

Hello,

On 19.01.2012 21:37, Michael Neufeld wrote:
> Hello-
> It's been a great while since I did much with the ns interface to
> click, but here's my 0.02. I'd also lean towards doing the work on the
> Click end of things - if I'd done it that way in the first place (and
> integrated the change) there'd be no need to duplicate the work in
> both the ns-2 and ns-3 specific code.
Sure, if it's easy do it there. But if complicated in click and simple
for the sim i'd prefer that, a global map is maybe too much.
Just thinking in the other direction, scheduling and bookkeeping of
events at top-level is already part of a simulator, don' t do that again
in click when it is run within. Duplicating the information which has
been passed to the sim and hoping that both sides stay in sync is what
i'd like to avoid.
> The sim interface could probably do with a bit of sprucing up (in
> addition to documentation) at this point - quite likely some of the
> assumptions I made when designing/coding it aren't true anymore. I'm
> not swimming in free time for Click work right now, but can at least
> get started on documenting it as it stands and think a bit about what
> could be improved.
The sim coupling code is great regarding that it is still easy to use
even for other simulators, i like it!

> 2012/1/19 Eddie Kohler<ekohler at gmail.com>:
>
> But I think we could do that without an NS patch, by changing Click
> (lib/routerthread.cc), so that it doesn't call
> "simclick_sim_send(...SCHEDULE...)" unless it knows there is no timer
> scheduled.
>
> I slightly prefer to change the Click side, but only slightly. The
> division of functionality between Click and the NS driver is pretty ad hoc.
I don't see how this helps when there suddenly is an earlier event in
click to pass to the sim, although there is already another timer
scheduled. And i can't see an easy way around this for click. Either
extend the simclick interface so click can ask what is scheduled or have
a bookkeeping of what has already passed to the sim somehow. Not?

Regards, Björn