[Click] 10GE Click performance

Ricard Vilalta ricard.vilalta at cttc.es
Wed Jan 18 08:38:59 EST 2012

Hi Roman,

I have recently published the following paper using click and 10GE
transceivers.
http://www.cttc.es/resources/doc/110728-hpsr-mplstp-final-46195.pdf

I hope an extended version will be published soon in a journal.

Best Regards,
Ricard

On 01/18/2012 02:29 PM, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM, rchertov<rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu>  wrote:
>> I finally got my hands on some 10GE equipment and started to play
>> around with Click.  So I noticed the following.  On 2.6.24.7 patched
>> kernel using 3.7.17 ixgbe driver, I get around 200K pps when running a
>> node as a bridge (click pulled from git today).  However, when on
>> exactly the same node I run the exactly same test but I use
>> click-1.7.0rc1, then I can easily achieve 300K pps.  I have also tried
>> 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686 using the latest Click and I still got around
>> 200K pps.
>>

>> I am curious of people's experiences when running Click on 10GE
>> equipment.  Has anybody got the RouteBricks MQ code running?  Everything
>> compiled for me, but I get pretty strange packet forwarding performance,
>> where the data is either delayed by quite a bit or it is just corrupted.
>>
>> My fancy one way bridge config
>>
>> fd :: FromDevice(eth2, PROMISC true, BURST 32)
>>     ->  ctr1 :: AverageCounter
>>     ->  q :: Queue(4096)
>>     ->  ctr2 :: AverageCounter
>>     ->  ToDevice(eth3, BURST 64);
> remember that fetching timestamps, even staying in-kernel,
> is extremely expensive (in the order of 250-500ns) so if you use
> one of those elements in your pipeline you won't be able
> to get decent performance.
>
> try to remove one or both counters and see if that improves
> the throughput (this said, 200 or 300kpps really seems too
> low to be explained by timestamps)
>
> cheers
> luigi

Ricard Vilalta
Research Engineer
Optical Networking Area (ONA) http://wikiona.cttc.es/
CTTC - Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya
Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia (PMT)
Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss 7,
08860 Castelldefels (Barcelona), Spain
http://www.cttc.es/
Phone: +34 93 396 71 70 (ext. 2232). Fax: +34 93 645 29 01
E-mail: ricard.vilalta at cttc.es