[Click] 10GE Click performance

rchertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Tue Jan 17 20:13:34 EST 2012

I finally got my hands on some 10GE equipment and started to play
around with Click.  So I noticed the following.  On 2.6.24.7 patched
kernel using 3.7.17 ixgbe driver, I get around 200K pps when running a
node as a bridge (click pulled from git today).  However, when on
exactly the same node I run the exactly same test but I use
click-1.7.0rc1, then I can easily achieve 300K pps.  I have also tried
2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686 using the latest Click and I still got around
200K pps.

I am curious of people's experiences when running Click on 10GE
equipment.  Has anybody got the RouteBricks MQ code running?  Everything
compiled for me, but I get pretty strange packet forwarding performance,
where the data is either delayed by quite a bit or it is just corrupted.

My fancy one way bridge config

fd :: FromDevice(eth2, PROMISC true, BURST 32)
    -> ctr1 :: AverageCounter
    -> q :: Queue(4096)
    -> ctr2 :: AverageCounter
    -> ToDevice(eth3, BURST 64);