[Click] Selection on annotations

Lars Bro larsbro at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 10:41:29 EDT 2012

Hi, Click list

When using Paint annotations that are in a small interval starting with 0,
it is appropriate to use the PaintSwitch element for selecting.

However, if the interval is sparse, it can be a good idea to use PaintTee
instead like below:

... -> a::PaintTee(17) -> b::PaintTee(78) -> c::PaintTee(154) -> ...
a[1] -> ...
b[1] -> ...
c[1] -> ...

Now, I use VLANDecap() to get the VLAN VID, and it will be put into a
two-byte annotation.

As far as I can see, there is no way to select on the VLAN VID if it is >
256 which it is in my case. It can be up to 2^12

I do understand that a paint annotation is just a one-byte value, and
somehow it is OK that PaintTee also only uses one byte. If we want to check
on something more complex, maybe a Classiifier-like approach might be
appropriate

For example an AnnoClassifier element that works exactly as Classifier, but
on the annotation space instead.

What do you think?

Lars Bro