[Click] insmod: error inserting '/usr/local/lib/click.ko': -1 Cannot allocate memory

Daniel Borkmann borkmann at iogearbox.net
Wed Oct 5 13:23:31 EDT 2011

Hi Cliff,

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Cliff Frey <cliff at meraki.com> wrote:
> You could try adding BURST 10 or something to your FromDevice configuration
> and see if that makes a difference.
> You could also try changing tasks_per_iter (there is a top level handler, so
> you could add "Script(write tasks_per_iter 300)" to your config).
> I don't actually think that either of the above will make much difference...
> as I believe that the click task should currently try and send 128 packets
> each time it is scheduled (tasks_per_iter * BURST == 128 * 1 == 128).
>  However, the BURST one is definitely worth trying.
> You could also try changing the "weight" on your ethernet driver, but that
> also should default to 64 or higher, so I don't understand how/why so few
> packets would be processed each time.
> If you run ifconfig after the test, are there any error counters that are
> very high?

Thanks for the hints.

No, there aren't any error values on the NIC driver. If I turn off
click (click-uninstall), then the packet rate rises up to approx 1,38
Mio pps (receive and drop by the kernel) and the context switch rate
decreases to less than 1000 per sec. I tried the whole experiment
multiple times - each time the same as described. Is the click kernel
thread running in high-priority or RT mode? This could maybe explain
the starvation of the ksoftirqd.

Thanks,
Daniel

Web: http://gnumaniacs.org