[Click] Click support in ns-3

Lalith Suresh suresh.lalith at gmail.com
Mon May 30 04:57:15 EDT 2011

Hello Bart,

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Bart Braem <bart.braem at ua.ac.be> wrote:
> Dear Ruben,
>
> That's great news, thanks a lot for the effort invested in this!
> We developed and maintained the old nsclick patches, so out of interest we are wondering if the similarities between the old and the new ns are large?

Yes, the differences between the two simulators are quite large. NS-3
has been written from scratch in C++, and closely follows real world
network stacks and models.

> Did you read the work of my colleagues in <http://www.pats.ua.ac.be/nicolas.letor#p138>? Will madwifi-like functionality be available in nsclick-3?

We are aware of your work on the Madwifi wireless extension for
nsclick. In ns-3-click, we leave Click to handle all of ns-3's layer 3
functionality, and we've implemented it in a way that all kinds of
traffic generators from ns-3 can run on top of Click, and all ns-3
NetDevice models can run below Click. This includes the wifi netdevice
as well (see example script src/click/examples/nsclick-raw-wlan.cc in
ns-3.11 or ns-3-dev).

Like Ruben has mentioned above, the only limitation right now is that
we can't use Click elements (like the Wifi elements) that rely on
radiotap headers yet, but we're mentoring a student project to get
this done over the summer.

We've described the whole of ns-3-click and its design in our WNS3 '11
paper: http://lalith.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/wns3-ns3click-2011.pdf

> best regards,
> Bart
>
> On 26 May 2011, at 22:08, Ruben Merz wrote:
>
>> Dear Click users,
>>
>> We would like to announce the availability of Click support in the
>> ns-3 simulator (http://www.nsnam.org). This work is the outcome of the
>> ns-3 GSOC 2010 project of Lalith Suresh. The code is available now, with
>> the latest ns-3.11 release (http://www.nsnam.org/download.html).
>> Feature-wise, we believe it is quite complete. Nevertheless, development
>> is still underway in order to support promiscuous mode (patch to Click
>> coming soon) as well as the ability to support Click elements relying on
>> radiotap headers (thanks to the NSOC project of Ashwin Narayan
>> http://www.nsnam.org/wiki/index.php/NSOC2011ClickMac).
>>
>> Documentation is available here:
>> http://www.nsnam.org/docs/models/index.html#document-click as well as
>> from the accompanying examples, the ns-3 tutorial or its manual.
>>
>> Feel free to contact the ns-3-users mailing list
>> (http://groups.google.com/group/ns-3-users), Lalith or myself if you
>> have any question.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ruben
>
> --
> Bart Braem
> PATS research group - IBBT
> Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Sciences
> University of Antwerp
> Campus Middelheim, G3.27
> Middelheimlaan 1
> B-2020 Antwerpen, Belgium