[Click] VLAN and ARPResponder

Lars Bro larsbro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 09:19:18 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have been working with the excellent 802.1Q elements from Cliff Frey.

There is a VLANDecap() element that decapsulates the 802.1Q into a normal
Ethernet frame and saves the VLAN info in an annotation. There is also a
VLANEncap() element that takes the annotation from the packet if any, and
makes it into an 802.1Q packet. I strongly encourage Cliff Frey to
contribute with these.

There is also a standard element SetVlanAnno() by which it is possible to
select the VLAN to use when sending.

RatedSource(...) -> SetVlanAnno(5) -> .... -> VLANEncap(20) ->
ToDevice(...);
FromDevice(...) -> VLANDecap(20) -> ...;

The VLAN_ANNO annotation is 20 according to packet_anno.h

But, when answering to ARP requests, the ARPResponder will not make the
response with the same VLAN_ANNO as the request. I would like to ask whether
you would think it would be a good idea to implement this.

FromDevice(...) -> VLANDecap(20) -> ... -> ARPResponder(...) ->
VLANEncap(20) -> ToDevice(...)

yours,
Lars Bro