[Click] ARP and VLAN

Ricard Vilalta ricard.vilalta at cttc.es
Thu Jul 14 06:07:08 EDT 2011

Hi Eddie and Lars,

Regarding ARPQuerier, it would be useful to include ethernet type as a
parameter, because it is not always 0x0800 (IPv4). We are using
ARPQuerier for MPLS frames and I have modified this value for 0x8847.
Using Ethertype as a parameter makes this element much more flexible,
allowing it to process different packet types.

Best regards,
Ricard

On 07/14/2011 01:08 AM, Eddie Kohler wrote:
> Lars,
>
> Nice idea.  I have ported a version of this patch.  I also merged Cliff's
> VLANEncap and VLANDecap elements, although I needed to change them, including
> their interfaces.
>
> Eddie
>

> On 7/6/11 1:54 AM, Lars Bro wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on a testbench for our wireless product, and now I have
>> to test traffic on
>> different VLANs.
>>
>> However:
>>
>> ARPResponder does not make the responses with the VLAN annotation of
>> the request,
>> so if anyone asks for my address on VLAN 5, I will answer on VLAN 0 (no VLAN)
>>
>> The same is the case with ARPRequester where the request does not have the same
>> VLAN annotation as the packet that caused the request.
>>
>> I have been using Cliff Freys VLAN elements, and I suggest that they
>> find their way to
>> release 2 as well.
>>

>> Like this:
>>
>> out::Queue ->
>> VLANEncap(20) ->
>> ToDevice(eth1);
>>
>> input ->   arpq::ARPQuerier(eth1)  ->   out;
>>
>> FromDevice(eth0) ->   VLANDecap(20) ->   arp::Classifier(12/0806 20/0001,
>> 12/0806 20/0002, 12/0800);
>>
>> arp[0] ->   ARPResponder(eth1, 10.20.30.40) ->   out;
>> arp[1] ->   [1]arpq;
>>
>> arp[2] ->   output;
>>

>> I have made a patch for ARPResponder and ARPQuerier.
>>

>> yours,
>> Lars Bro

Ricard Vilalta
Research Engineer
Optical Networking Area (ONA) http://wikiona.cttc.es/
CTTC - Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya
Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia (PMT)
Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss 7,
08860 Castelldefels (Barcelona), Spain
http://www.cttc.es/
Phone: +34 93 396 71 70 (ext. 2232). Fax: +34 93 645 29 01
E-mail: ricard.vilalta at cttc.es