[Click] ARP and VLAN

Lars Bro larsbro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 04:54:49 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am working on a testbench for our wireless product, and now I have
to test traffic on
different VLANs.

However:

ARPResponder does not make the responses with the VLAN annotation of
the request,
so if anyone asks for my address on VLAN 5, I will answer on VLAN 0 (no VLAN)

The same is the case with ARPRequester where the request does not have the same
VLAN annotation as the packet that caused the request.

I have been using Cliff Freys VLAN elements, and I suggest that they
find their way to
release 2 as well.

Like this:

out::Queue ->
VLANEncap(20) ->
ToDevice(eth1);

input -> arpq::ARPQuerier(eth1)  -> out;

FromDevice(eth0) -> VLANDecap(20) -> arp::Classifier(12/0806 20/0001,
12/0806 20/0002, 12/0800);

arp[0] -> ARPResponder(eth1, 10.20.30.40) -> out;
arp[1] -> [1]arpq;

arp[2] -> output;

I have made a patch for ARPResponder and ARPQuerier.

yours,
Lars Bro