[Click] adding TokenBucket

Bart Braem bart.braem at ua.ac.be
Wed Jan 5 08:17:07 EST 2011

Hi,

On 05 Jan 2011, at 07:50, Cliff Frey wrote:

> Eddie and I worked on a new TokenBucket data structure that is good for
> implementing rate-limited operations (like RatedUnqueue).  I'm hoping to
> push this to mainline soon, but wanted to solicit feedback from the list
> first.
>
> The commits have the details.  I'm mostly curious if anyone objects to the
> behavioral change to the Rated* elements having a 1 second burst.

Actually, I am not sure about this one. From a performance point of view, this is a welcome change of course.
However, I often see our students use Rated* elements a sort of cheap timer for generating packets. When the interval is above 1 second, behaviour will not change. However below 1 second...
On the other hand, a token bucket is a really standard concept in networks. Which they are supposed to know or learn about. So this behaviour should not be completely unexpected, if the used token bucket mechanism is documented.
So I'd say that I do not object, if there is documentation.

best regards,
Bart