[Click] Re?: Re: Kernel mode with a recent kernel

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Fri Dec 16 10:32:27 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 03:57:00PM +0100, Fabrice Schuler wrote:
> Hi Eddy,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> In a first time, we could probably only use kernel mode without polling, so patchless click could be fine. But on a longer run, I would say that yes, we will need polling mode.
> I will try patchless mode in a first time, and will still try to work to use polling in a second time.

If you are interested in polling because of performance, you should
really consider using click-userspace with netmap (currently on
FreeBSD, but linux support is really close now)

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/

In our tests it seems to beat in-kernel click by a factor of 2,
for I/O intensive tasks (where polling makes the difference).

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/20110729-rizzo-infocom.pdf

cheers
luigi