[Click] Using Click RawSocket on PlanetLab

Dimitris Syrivelis jsyr at inf.uth.gr
Fri Aug 26 05:28:57 EDT 2011

 Hello all,

 We attempted to deploy a click configuration on planetlab. We have tested both
RawSocket as well as IPFlowRawSockets and AggregateIPFLows combo as it is
suggested. Unfortunately, the receiving side does not work. We have tested on
PlanetLab Europe (PLE) nodes with latest planetlab linux distro that runs over
Xen or Vserver.

 Running rawsockets on planetlab is a dominant planetlab list issue with several
threads and different solutions that are functional for specific planetlab
deployment versions. Starting with Proper API which is the oldest and probably
deprecated, Scout kernel module and currently vmnet.
 We found that the solution that currently applies on latest PLE nodes is
described on this thread:
http://lists.planet-lab.org/pipermail/devel/2009-January/003255.html.

 In brief, the authors of vmnet+ explain that in order for your sliver to become
a port owner on a planetlab machine you need to create and bind a DGRAM or
STREAM socket for UDP or TCP respectively. This will trigger the port
registration code in vmnet+. In the first version of vmnet, binding the raw
socket port was adequate and this is what current git rawsockets.cc code does.

 Attached you will find a patch for rawsockets.cc,hh that creates a seperate
standard socket and binds it to the port to achieve registration. We have also
removed proper support since it is obsolete on planetlab. We have tested this
code sending/receiving UDP traffic on PLE nodes. Maybe we need other users to
confirm that it runs on PLC before it is considered for integration with
mainstream click.

 Regards,

  Dimitris