[Click] patchless and tcpdump

Roman Chertov rchertov at cs.ucsb.edu
Fri Apr 8 19:32:49 EDT 2011

Hello,

I was curious to see if somebody could test the following setup.  I have three
nodes A-B-C.

Node B is running Fedora14 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.i686, and I am using the following
script below in patchless kernel mode.

fd0 :: FromDevice(eth14, PROMISC true)
    -> ctr0 :: AverageCounter
    -> Queue
    -> ToDevice(eth15);

fd1 :: FromDevice(eth15, PROMISC true)
    -> ctr1 :: AverageCounter
    -> Queue
    -> ToDevice(eth14);

Essentially, node B just bridges between A and C.  When I send packets from A to
C everything works, except that I can see the packets on node B when I run
tcpdump.  On a patched linux configuration, this behavior would not occur as the
packets intercepted by Click are not visible to the kernel IP stack.  However,
in my current setup the packets are now visible to the kernel IP stack.  I am
curious if this occurs on other linux distributions or it only pertains to
Fedora14.  By the way, I am running the source pulled from git today.

Roman