[Click] click Digest, Vol 81, Issue 5

John Russell Lane johnrlane at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:11:05 EST 2010

Hi Holly,

We've been using Click for a while on PlanetLab ...

As you likely already know, PlanetLab (and Vini) run within VServers,
which mean you have to do a little more work than usual to get packets
into the Click router.  FromDevice/ToDevice/RawSocket* and anything
that relies on root privileges are known *not* to work on PlanetLab
and you're generally limited to a bound Socket listening and sending
on a given port (though I heard once that it was possible to get the
tap device working, I've not tried).

Though I think the base installation is a somewhat old Fedora Core 8,
getting Click built on PL isn't particularly difficult and there is
(IIRC) a click.spec file for it running around somewhere (in the Click
distribution? ...).  The average PL box is highly loaded, though, so
if you have access to a local Core 8 install or an environment like
Emulab, it's much faster to build your things there (e.g., Emulab's
FEDORA8-STD image seems to work well for our work).

There may be a few other annoyances/gotchas depending upon what you're
looking to do; the PL users list might also be a good place to search
for answers / ask questions.

jrl.

* Note: IIRC, there used to be support for RawSocket (the element) on
PlanetLab such that it would open a socket for you and allow you to
use it with the same semantics as on a normal machine (though you
could only send receive on one port), provided that the IP/port
information were not spoofed.  This may even be documented still
somewhere, but to the best of my knowledge the feature was dropped in
the latest PL upgrade a year or more ago.