[Click] IPMP / IP Measurement Protocol on click?

Florian Sesser florian at sesser.at
Mon Jun 14 13:35:37 EDT 2010

Hi all!

For my diploma thesis, I am analysing the performance of our MANET mesh
algorithm - SSR / Scalable Source Routing [1] - on a physical 802.11a
mesh network that is running Click (see BOWL [2]).

I plan to compare SSR to OLSR and DSR.

Now I need an underlay-agnostic measurement framework that will help me
analyse the paths taken by packets on their way through the network,
together with some performance statistics (read: timestamps).

I envision something like IPMP [3], which I see as a "ip record route"
option on steroids.

I haven't found something looking complete enough implementation-wise
for me to just use, with Click or without. In Click, all the primitives
("stamp addr into packet payload", "stamp timestamp into packet
payload", etc) are there, so hacking together rudimentary IPMP support
should be very feasible. Still, I do not need to re-invent the wheel.

Now, do you guys know of something simpler / quicker / more complete /
working? Or a better way of doing what I want? Would you be interested
in an IPMP implementation for Click, or is that already in progress and
I just didn't stumple over it?

Thank you!

Greetings from Munich,

Florian

[1] http://www.so.in.tum.de/wiki/index.php5/Scalable_Source_Routing
[2] http://bowl.net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de/
[3] i.e. http://www.wand.net.nz/~mluckie/pubs/mluckie-thesis.pdf
     (not the IPMP you find on wikipedia, which is about multipathing)